About the Practice
The practice was founded in 1930, and has since expanded so that it comprises ten partners. We have seven practice nurses and three health care assistants who hold clinics in Oakengates and Hadley by appointment. The main building has been recently extended to give good disabled access.
The practice was started by Dr Thompson, a surgeon, who held surgeries at The Grove, a victorian house near the crossroads in St Georges. He joined up with Dr William Begs, another surgeon, and they operated at the cottage hospital in Wellington, and in The Grove, on the kitchen table. In 1948 Dr A.P. ‘Bertie’ Smith joined the practice when the NHS started, and later Dr Robert ‘Scotty’ Reid came, living in Arden House in Oakengates.
In 1952 Dr Bill Liggett came over from Ireland, and the Oakengates Medical Practice was formed. In 1962 Dr Hanna joined, and the Hadley branch surgery was opened in 1971. Dr Jane Morris worked here for some years, and Dr Roger Thompson retired in 2001 after many years of dedicated caring. Dr Geoff Wainwright was our Senior Partner for some years but now has retired to pursue his myriad interests. Very sadly Dr Phil Marray passed away while a partner here, and he is remembered in the naming of the Marray suite upstairs. We have been fortunate enough to have Dr Paul Ogilvie, Dr Andy Harwood, Dr Jane Pelton, and Dr Juliet Bennet working here in the past.
Stafford Road surgery, before the ring road was built. The building had previously been used as a public house, The Coach and Horses. The sign on the right side of the door is the name plate of Drs. Reid, Smith, Liggett, and Hanna.